The Chicken Manual provides a complete and easy-to-follow reference for those wanting to keep their own chickens for both food and pleasure.
The ideal companions to have in your back garden, chickens will provide you with an interesting hobby, plenty of fresh free range eggs along with the occasional roast bird. This combined with low maintenance costs (weekly feed bill is on average £1.50) and natural pest control is what makes chicken keeping more popular nowadays than at any time since the Second World War.
Aimed at the novice but also containing plenty to interest the experienced chicken-keeper, the Chicken Manual presents clear advice, tips, facts and step-by-step sequences, as well as plenty of relevant photographs and diagrams to ensure healthy, happy chickens that are both productive and cost effective. Topics covered include:
- Getting started: Choosing a breed, hybrids, other poultry, hatching your own.
- Daily care: Seasonal care, feeding and watering, housing, security from predators, vermin control, laying (types of eggs, selling, regulations), first aid.
- Specialist information: Anatomy and plumage, colours and markings, breeding, incubating, showing, conservation, dispatching and dressing.
- Common diseases: Includes simple diagnosis aids, biology, health, nutrition.
- Step-by-step procedures: Building a hen house, preparing birds for showing and using an incubator.
Laurence Beeken has kept poultry for 20 years both as a back-garden hobby and for exhibition and showing. He has previously judged at National level and has sat on several international breed club committees. He has contributed to several magazines, covering all aspects of poultry-keeping, from egg to plate. Laurence lives in Spalding, Lincolnshire.
The information on this page is supplied courtesy of Haynes Publishing, please credit accordingly if you intend to use it. For more information or to request a review copy please contact Spirit PR on 0117 944 1415 or email Haynes PR
Haynes Manuals is the world's leading publisher of illustrated workshop car and motorcycle manuals, as well as producing manuals on a wide range of DIY, leisure and lifestyle subjects. These will continue to include motoring and motorsport related subjects.